Find out about the professional and student organizations in the Philippines established to promote Values Education. Also, learn about international organizations and centers that provide seminars, training, scholarships, newsletters and projects related to Values/Character Education. Really inspiring!
International Organizations and Centers for Values Education
1. AMERICA’S PROMISE
Discuss five promises contain the seeds for a national movement capable of advancing the health and well-being of the next generation. But, we all must take responsibility and get involved to make this a reality.
2. ASSOCIATION FOR MORAL EDUCATION
Provides an interdisciplinary forum for professionals interested in the moral dimensions of educational theory and practice. The Association is dedicated to fostering communication, cooperation, training, curriculum development, and research that links moral theory with educational practice.
3. CHARACTER EDUCATION CENTER
Offers respect and responsibility workshops complete with comprehensive seminar guides for teachers. It is presented to kids through Annual Values Themes.
4.CENTER FOR LEARNING
Is a nonprofit educational publisher committed to integrating academic learning and
universal values through the humanities.
5. ADVENTURES FROM THE BOOK OF VIRTUES
From the PBS series based on William Bennet’s popular book, includes numerous stories, a “virtual” essay contest and a “treasure box” of puzzles and games.
6. THE KIDZ CARE! STORY CENTER
Uses online picture books to teach young children compassion, appreciation of cultural diversity and good citizenship. Also includes posters to print out and color.
7. “KIND (kids in Nature’s Defense) NEWS”
Is produced by the National Association for Humane and Environmental Education “to help elementary school students develop values of kindness toward people, animal, and the Earth.” It features contributions from young readers, celebrity profiles, articles (with questions to test reading comprehension), puzzles and other activities.
8. YOUTH IN ACTION
The site offers lessons about citizenship and altruism and provides charmed for kids to talk with each other about these sites on-line. Then they are encouraged to go out and make a difference using Youth in Action “Power Tools”.
9. THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY’S RECYCLE CITY
Uses games, activities and fun facts to teach kids about recycling.
10. THE NEW CENTURY SCHOOL HOUSE
Provides a forum for teachers to exchange ideas about how schools can produce a generation of citizens “ready for the 21st Century”.
11. STAGE KIDS THE EDU-TAINMENT COMPANY
Develops and produces original musicals, many of which are described on the website as ideal CHARACTER COUNTS! Week presentations. ”Musical theatre performance kits”-including scripts, lead sheets and cassettes with music are available for purchase from the website. Also posted are exemption from scripts summaries of plays and RealAAudioSamples of songs used in the productions.
12. BABY THINK IT OVER
Seeks to prevent unplanned pregnancies by helping teens understand consequences of parental obligations before they are faced with the responsibility of caring for kids.
13.“THOUGHT, WORD AND DEED”
A State Farm Insurance-sponsored character development program for young children, teaches lessons about decision making and personal responsibility. Includes lesson plans, handouts, and a poster.
14. PROJECT WISDOM
It is committed to providing schools with character educational materials, encouraging students to reflect upon the meaning of civic and personal values and the application of those values in their daily use.
15. QUEST INTERNATIONAL
It is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and recovery of missing, abused and exploited children, andat risk adult.
16. RESPONSIVE CLASSROOM
It is a practical approach of creating safe, challenging and joyful school.
17. SCHOOL FOR ETHICAL EDUCATION
Learn about SEE's vision and mission of increasing learning experiences that promote positive character and responsible and caring communities.
18. SEARCH INSTITUTE
Search Institute is an independent, nonprofit, nonsectarian organization whose mission is to advance the well-being of adolescents and children by generating knowledge and promoting its application. To accomplish this mission, the institute generates, synthesizes, and communicates new knowledge, convenes organizational and community leaders, and works with state and national organizations.
19. STAND FOR CHILDREN
Building a powerful, grassroots citizen voice to ensure all children have the opportunity to grow
20. THE VIRTUES PROJECT
Offers personal and professional development programs teaching strategies that inspire people to live
21. WASHINGTON ETHICAL SOCIETY
a religious community without formal creed or dogma,
united in the belief that the greatest moral and spiritual values.
A humanistic religious community serving Washington, DC. Programs for all ages.
character education program is a teacher-friendly
andinterdisciplinary way to build the character of young people
23. “WHOOTIE OWL`S FAIRYTALES & VALUES CLASS PLAN”
is an outline resource for teachers, parents and other caregivers available at “Absolute Whootie: stories to grow by”.
24. CENTER FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF ETHICS AND CHARACTER
at Boston University promotes the reintroduction of ethical standards and character formation within our nation's elementary schools. Dedicated to helping schools recapture their role as moral educators, the Center has developed a model that emphasizes the curriculum as the primary vehicle for transmitting moral values to the young. The Center publicizes this model primarily through its "Teacher Academies" for elementary and secondary teachers and administrators. A similar program is directed toward college and university faculty responsible for the preparation of future teachers. The Center is also involved in researching and developing curricular materials for use by schools, teachers, and parents
25. ETHICS RESOURCE CENTER -- is working to restore our society's ethical foundations by strengthening the capacity of our institutions to foster integrity, encourage ethical conduct, and support basic values. Since its establishment in 1977 as a nonprofit, nonpartisan and nonsectarian educational organization, the Ethics Resource Center has developed practical and effective programs that address the evolving needs of the education, business, and government communities. Resources include research support, curricular materials, workshops and conference sponsorship.
26. INSTITUTE ON MEDIA EDUCATION -- is a summer institute designed to help teachers and administrator to integrate media literacy into existing subject areas; to develop new teaching methods which help students think critically about what they see, read and watch; to analyze newspapers and television news and examine press influence on the coverage of the American political process; and to implement media awareness outreach programs in their schools and communities.
27. LEARNING FOR LIFE -- a kindergarten through high school program designed to support schools in their efforts toward preparing students to successfully handle the complexities of today's society and to enhance their self-confidence, motivation, and self-esteem. The program also helps students develop social and life skills, assists in characterdevelopment, and helps them formulate positive personal values. It features age-appropriate and grade-specific lesson plans to enhance and support the core curriculum. Teaching techniques such as role-playing, small group discussions, reflective and moral dilemma exercises, and hands-on activities are used. The program is a subsidiary of the Boy Scouts of America
28. LIVE WIRE MEDIA -- Live Wire Media produces and distributes videos that help children become caring, respectful, responsible people who think critically, solve problems non-violently, and make choices based on what's right instead of what they can get away with.
29. OLIVET COLLEGE CHARACTER EDUCATION RESOURCE CENTER -- The Olivet College Character Education Center (CERC) opened in the fall of 1997 to serve the campus and community, offering seminars, guest speakers, publications, a reference library, and opportunities for character education building and training.
30. POSITIVE ACTION COMPANY -- Right and good actions (positive actions) define strong character. The Positive Action program addresses character issues in every lesson and provides daily opportunities for personal growth. This program not only provides academic learning about character, but it also provides students with the experience of character-defining moments. This comprehensive, systematic process builds character methodically, every day, all day long. As students experience more and more of their own (and others') positive actions, their feelings about themselves and others change for the better. They become more and more sure of themselves and their choices, more empathetic, more responsible, and more honest and are able to make sound choices for themselves that are indicative of a strong character.
31. THE CENTER FOR LEARNING -- A non-profit publisher committed to the advancement of academic learning and the integration of ethical values. The Center's philosophy holds that human reason needs education and free will needs guidance. All materials and programs are designed to promote universal values essential in our society. TAP is the Center's trademark describing a network of 300+ experienced Teachers who Author and Publish educational materials. These materials now number more than 350 values-based curriculum units containing reproducible student handouts and suggesting a variety of learning approaches. Units are offered in English/Language Arts, Novel/Drama, Religion, Social Studies, and Elementary. The Center also offers an annual Evergreen Workshop for teachers.
32. THE CENTER FOR MEDIA LITERACY -- is a non-profit membership organization that translates media literacy research and theory into practical information, training and educational tools for teachers and youth leaders, parents and caregivers of children. Free catalog of teaching materials.
33. THE CHARACTER COUNTS COALITION -- is a project of the Josephson Institute and represents a national partnership of organizations and individuals involved in the education, training, or care of youth. Joined together in a collaborative effort to improve the character of America's young people based on six core ethical values, the" six pillars of character": trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship. the central purpose of the coalition is to combat violence, dishonesty and irresponsibility by strengthening the moral fiber of the next generation. the coalition will put the issue of character development on the forefront of the american agenda through a wide variety of grass roots activities built upon the simple but profound conviction that "character counts."
34. THE CHARACTER EDUCATION PARTNERSHIP -- is a nonpartisan coalition of organizations and individuals who are concerned about the moral crisis confronting America's youth and is dedicated to developing moral character and civic virtue in our young people is one way of promoting a more compassionate and responsible society. Its activities include a national clearinghouse, community programs, school support, publications, annual and regional forums, national awards and a media campaign. Esther F. Schaeffer, Executive Director,
35. The COMMUNITARIAN NETWORK -- is a coalition of individuals and organizations who have come together to shore up the moral, social, and political environment. This national organization is non-sectarian and non-partisan. The organization sponsors an annual conference, produces position papers (family, health-care reform, domestic disarmament, character and a civil society, organ donation), and publishes a quarterly journal, The Responsive Community: Rights and Responsibilities.
36. THE INSTITUTE FOR GLOBAL ETHICS -- is a nonprofit, nonsectarian, nonpartisan research and educational membership organization established to discover and articulate the global common ground of ethical values, analyze ethical trends and shifts in values as they develop around the world, gather and disseminate information on global ethics, and elevate public awareness and discussion of global ethical issues.
37. THE JOSEPH AND EDNA JOSEPHSON INSTITUTE OF ETHICS -- is a nonprofit educational and leadership training organization which seeks to increase the nation's awareness of ethical issues and to provide individuals with the skills to make their behaviors more ethical. The Institute's activities include research, publications, and skills training workshops. The Institute also sponsors the Character Counts Coalition.
38. QUEST INTERNATIONAL -- Founded in 1974, Quest International is an independent, international, educational organization dedicated to equipping adults with the skills, tools, and strategies essential to nurturing responsibility and caring in young people. With its global network of partners, Quest works to impart the skills and ways of thinking about young people that help enhance their capacity to flourish in an often turbulent world. Through its strategic partnership with Lions Clubs International, more that quarter of a million educators and youth workers have been trained to foster the positive potential in young people they interact with every day.
39. CHARACTER EDUCATION PARTNERSHIP
The Character Education Partnership (CEP) is a nonpartisan coalition of organizations and individuals dedicated to developing moral character and civic virtue in our nation's youth as one means of creating a more compassionate and responsible society.
40. CHILDREN’S DEFENSE FUND
seeks to ensure that children have a successful passage to adulthood with the help of caring families and communities.
41. CLOSE UP FOUNDATION
The Close Up Foundation is the nation’s largest nonprofit (501(c)(3)), nonpartisan citizenship education organization. Since its founding in 1970, Close Up has worked to promote responsible and informed participation in the democratic process through a variety of educational programs.
43. Living Values: An Educational Program
44. Highly Recommended!!!! : Sites for Teachers